Hey everybody, firstly I must apologise for no posts over the last couple of weeks, I have been very poorly (actually still am) but I’m trying to get through it. I won’t bore you with the details, shall we get on with today’s post…
Veg Chow Mein
- 200 grams Noodles Hakka style
- 4-5 cups Water
- 2 tablespoons Sesame oil
- 2 teaspoons Ginger finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons Garlic finely chopped
- 1 tablespoons Celery finely chopped
- ½ cup Onion sliced
- ½ cup Carrot finely chopped
- ½ cup Capsicum (Green bell pepper) finely chopped
- ½ cup Cabbage finely chopped
- ⅓ cup Mushrooms finely chopped
- 1 ½ tablespoons Soy sauce
- 1 ½ tablespoon Tomato Ketchup
- 1 ½ tablespoon Chilli sauce
- 1 ½ teaspoon White distilled vinegar
- Salt to taste
- ¼ teaspoon Black pepper powder
- 2-3 tablespoons Spring onion (green onion or scallion) green part only chopped
1) First, boil the noodles. In short, Bring 4-5 cups of water to a rolling bowl. Add a big pinch of salt and noodles. Let it cook for 4-5 minutes or as per the package instruction. Noodles should be soft, not mushy.
2) Drain the water. Run under running cold water and then add little oil and toss the noodles. Keep it aside
3) Heat the oil in a pan on medium heat. Once hot add chopped ginger, garlic and celery.
4) Stir and saute for 30-40 seconds. DO NOT brown the garlic.
5) Now add sliced onions and mix.
6) Cook till onions get soft and translucent.
7) Then add all the veggies (carrot, capsicum, cabbage, mushroom).
8) Mix well and continue cooking.
9) Cook for 2-3 minutes only. Veggies are just soft, do not overcook them.
10) Now add soy sauce.
11) Add ketchup
12) Also, add chilli sauce.
13) And add vinegar.
14) Mix well and let the sauce get heated through. At this time add salt and pepper to taste.
15) Add boiled noodles and spring onion greens.
16) Toss everything together till noodles is coated with sauce mixture well. Once noodles get heated through, turn off the stove.
Remove it to a serving plate and garnish with more spring onion greens.
This is one of my all-time favourite meals to whip up when I can’t really be bothered with doing any cooking!
Hope everyone enjoys the rest of their week.