Leeds Dock (formerly Clarence Dock) is a mixed development that includes not only a retail and leisure presence, but also houses waterside apartments.
The dock was originally built for boats, transporting goods and commodities from Leeds city centre, using the Leeds and Liverpool canal and the Aire and Calder navigation. The primary use for it, was used to bring coal form collieries around Rothwell and Wakefield to supply heavy industries in Hunslet.
On the west side of the dock, once had a large crane, that ran along the tracks of the dock, to load and unload goods from canal barges. In more recent years the area was made up of industrial buildings, most of which were derelict, but through the second half of the 20th century the area suffered a steady industrial decline, meaning many of the mills and engineering works began to close down.
Construction of the £42.5 million pound purpose-built Royal Armouries Museum marked the start of the area’s redevelopment which opened in 1996. It wasn’t until 2004 that a multi-storey car park opened, followed by an Express hotel 2 years later. A following 2 years after that saw the launch of the retail and leisure sector, unfortunately the site failed to take off as a shopping centre as very few retail chains were attracted to the area.
As part of a re-branding initiative, what was previously known as Clarence dock became New dock in mid-2012, and then later in 2013 rebranded as Leeds Dock after being bought by Allied London.
- It now attracts around 1.5 million visitors a year
- There are 227 apartments surrounding the dock
- Free water taxi rides
- Located right next to the Royal Armouries Museum
- Originally built in 1843
- Perfect for a gentle stroll
See you next week!